At UHY we recognise the importance of contributing to a society with whom we are inextricably linked, as demonstrated through our shared purpose of helping you prosper which applies across all that we do for our clients, our people and our wider communities. We pride ourselves on our people focused values; from working closely with our clients to forging ties with members of our local community, as well as supporting our own people in their fundraising and voluntary activities.
We believe our local expertise complements our national focus in terms of our corporate social responsibilities. Our network of offices in the UK is diverse in terms of size and location – from small towns to large cities – however, there are strong commonalities that unify us in terms of our approach and belief in Corporate Social Responsibility.
Expand the information below to read more about our various CSR initiatives:
Each year, we pledge our support to a national charity on an annual basis. Following a vote across our UK offices, we are proud to announce that we will be supporting Teenage Cancer Trust as our 2023/24 national charity. Teenage Cancer Trust is a fantastic charity that do amazing work offering specialised nursing and support for young people aged 13-24 fighting cancer.
Over the next year our team members will hold a multitude of fundraising events ranging from fun, to challenging, to both, in an effort to raise as much vital funding for Teenage Cancer Trust as possible. If you would like to support our fundraising for Teenage Cancer Trust, please visit our JustGiving page. Any donation, however great or small, will make a difference
We were pleased to be a headline sponsor of British Paralympic Athlete, Shelly Woods through her 2019/20 to 2022/23 competitive years.
Shelly is a T54 wheelchair racing athlete who has competed at the highest level in the sport. She is currently taking a year off while pregnant, but we hope to support Shelly again in the future.
Read more about Shelly and our support here.
Charitable fundraising is carried out across our UK network, both independently and through work initiatives. These include various fundraising events at local schools, participating in marathons and other sport-related events and donations through Christmas card alternatives.
In addition to all our local efforts, we also pledge our support to a national charity on an annual basis. For further information, please click here.
We endeavour to make a difference in our local community. We encourage our staff to get involved in a wide range of voluntary activities. The following are examples of some of our recent endeavours:
- Working with schools and colleges by providing work placement opportunities; staff members sitting on the board of governors, and lunch time reading groups.
- Youth and community work is undertaken by staff who are members of Guides and Scouts clubs, managers of football teams and assist with Sunday school clubs.
- Volunteering time and skills to charities and not-for-profit organisations. A large number of staff provide pro bono work such as helping with accounting work and giving up their time to sit on finance or audit committees or boards of trustees. Our Welsh member firm runs the M4 Business Network, a business club which aims to bring together people in the South West Wales area.
- Numerous environmental activities are undertaken, including sitting as a director and trustee on the Nottingham Wildlife Trust, involvement in the Sustrans sustainable transport charity, Garden Organic and Surfers Against Sewage.
As part of our Group strategy to meet the needs of our clients and employees responsibly, we take seriously the issue of the environment. Our network of offices in the UK are committed to operating in a sustainable manner through not only our own actions but also those of our suppliers.
Due to the nature of our business and the locations in which we operate, national and international travel can sometimes be essential. We are, however, taking steps to mitigate our impact by using alternative methods of technology such as teleconferences, webinars and videoconferences. Some staff car share to work while others car share to and from client meetings.
It is UHY Hacker Young Group’s policy to be committed to minimising our environmental impact wherever possible and we carry out the following actions to demonstrate this:
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, toners and ink cartridges
- Double-sided printing
- Bin sharing
- Night audits to ensure all equipment and lighting is switched off
- Use of own mugs provided by the Group to employees
- Mitigating our carbon footprint
- Using renewable energy suppliers
- Using environmentally friendly waste management companies.
This policy will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis.