At UHY we recognise the importance of contributing to a society with whom we are inextricably linked. We pride ourselves on our people focused values; from working closely with our clients to forging ties with members of our local community, as well as supporting our own people in their fundraising and voluntary activities.
We believe our local expertise complements our national focus in terms of our corporate social responsibilities. Our network of offices in the UK is diverse in terms of size and location – from small towns to large cities – however, there are strong commonalities that unify us in terms of our approach and belief in Corporate Social Responsibility.
Expand the information below to read more about our various CSR initiatives:
Each year, we pledge our support to a national charity on an annual basis. Following a vote across our UK offices, Children with Cancer was selected as our national charity for 2019/20 and, due to the coronavirus pandemic hampering our fundraising efforts, we have also committed to supporting the charity throughout 2020/21.
We are very proud to be supporting this leading childhood cancer charity and will be working hard to fundraise as much as possible for the charity over the coming year. You can read more about our efforts to support Children with Cancer here.
We are pleased to be a headline sponsor of British Paralympic Athlete, Shelly Woods. We supported Shelly through her 2019/20 competitive year, and are pleased to announce that we have extended our support for Shelly throughout her 2020/21 competitive year.
Shelly is a T54 wheelchair racing athlete who has competed at the highest level in the sport.
Read more about Shelly and our support here.
Charitable fundraising is carried out across our UK network, both independently and through work initiatives. These include various fundraising events at local schools, participating in marathons and other sport-related events and donations through Christmas card alternatives.
We endeavour to make a difference in our local community. We encourage our staff to get involved in a wide range of voluntary activities. The following are examples of some of our recent endeavours:
- Working with schools and colleges by providing work placement opportunities; staff members sitting on the board of governors, and lunch time reading groups.
- Youth and community work is undertaken by staff who are members of Guides and Scouts clubs, managers of football teams and assist with Sunday school clubs.
- Volunteering time and skills to charities and not-for-profit organisations. A large number of staff provide pro bono work such as helping with accounting work and giving up their time to sit on finance or audit committees or boards of trustees. Our Welsh member firm runs the M4 Business Network, a business club which aims to bring together people in the South West Wales area.
- Numerous environmental activities are undertaken, including sitting as a director and trustee on the Nottingham Wildlife Trust, involvement in the Sustrans sustainable transport charity, Garden Organic and Surfers Against Sewage.
As part of our Group strategy to meet the needs of our clients and employees responsibly, we take seriously the issue of the environment. Our network of offices in the UK are committed to operating in a sustainable manner through not only our own actions but also those of our suppliers.
Due to the nature of our business and the locations in which we operate, national and international travel can sometimes be essential. We are, however, taking steps to mitigate our impact by using alternative methods of technology such as teleconferences, webinars and videoconferences. Some staff car share to work while others car share to and from client meetings.
It is UHY Hacker Young Group’s policy to be committed to minimising our environmental impact wherever possible and we carry out the following actions to demonstrate this:
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, toners and ink cartridges
- Double-sided printing
- Bin sharing
- Night audits to ensure all equipment and lighting is switched off
- Use of own mugs provided by the Group to employees
- Mitigating our carbon footprint
- Using renewable energy suppliers
- Using environmentally friendly waste management companies.
This policy will be reviewed and updated on a regular basis.