At what is obviously a very difficult and emotional time for anyone who has suffered bereavement, dealing with the required paperwork to obtain probate and calculate any Inheritance Tax (IHT) liability is the last thing on anyone’s mind. Nevertheless, it is something which has to be dealt with as failure to deal with it correctly could prove very costly.
Our executor and probate advisers have both the experience and the sensitivity to ensure that your estate, or that of a friend or family member, will be handled professionally and it is common that those named as executors will choose to seek professional advice to assist them with the more complex and technical stages, of what may be a drawn out and emotionally draining process.
How we can help you?
We can offer help in a variety of different ways and at a variety of different stages. In particular, we can:
- as individuals, act as executor (with a family member or other professional);
- prepare the HM Revenue & Customs Account for IHT and, either directly or working with a solicitor, submit an application for probate or letters of administration on behalf of the intending executors/administrators;
- deal with the finalisation of the tax affairs of the deceased, including disclosure of previously undisclosed liabilities and the mitigation of interest and penalties;
- advise the beneficiaries as to the tax-efficient administration of the estate and their own tax planning, including variations of the deceased’s Will;
- complete tax returns for the period of administration and provide details and advice relevant to the completion of the beneficiaries’ own returns;
- manage the executors’ bank account and deal with all administrative matters, including the transfer of assets to beneficiaries; and
- prepare detailed and clear accounts in respect of the period of administration.
If you are unsure of who to name as an executor of your Will, we will offer professionalism, independence and a thorough understanding of your affairs.
If you are named as executor by a friend or family member do bear in mind that we can help make the administration process both quicker and more cost-effective.
The next step
If you would like to find out more about the services for executors that we can provide, please contact one of our probate specialists using our contact form.