Our charity team in Kent, based in our Sittingbourne office, and headed by Allan Hickie have specialist knowledge of this diverse sector, derived from many years’ experience of dealing with the various financial aspects related to the sector.
We act for charities and other not for profit entities of varying sizes, from small local charities to organisations with over £30m annual income. Our not-for-profit team acts for a diverse range of clients including:
- academies and other educational charities;
- animal welfare;
- City of London livery companies;
- clubs and member associations, including Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs);
- disability charities;
- grant giving trusts and foundations;
- housing associations;
- leisure and culture;
- medical/healthcare; and
- religious organisations, including Parochial Church Councils.
We understand the issues and regulations that charities face and have in-depth experience and knowledge to help deal with this. We act as auditors and independent examiners to many of our charity clients, and provide assistance with compliance matters, including the preparation of accounts and trustees’ reports that comply with the Charities Act and Charities SORP.
If you are thinking about establishing a charity we can help you decide which structure is the most appropriate for your needs, and talk you through the various options such as an unregistered trust, company limited by guarantee, community interest company (CIC) or charitable incorporated organisation (CIO). We can assist you with your application to obtain charitable status, or help with you any future restructuring.
Our services to charities and the not-for-profit sector include:
Accounting and assurance
- external audit;
- internal audit;
- preparation of accounts in compliance with Charities SORP; and
- audits for grant and funding applications.
Tax and VAT
- corporation tax and tax status – including the impact of trading activities on charitable status, and the use of trading subsidiaries
- VAT advice, compliance and planning;
- gift aid advice;
Governance and strategy
- strategic/business planning;
- trustee training;
- governance reviews.
If you would like to discuss the charity and not-for-profit accounting services that we can provide for your organisation in more detail, please contact one of our charity and not-for-profit specialists.
To see what our experts have to say about the latest news and developments in the charity and not-for-profit sector, view our charity blog.